Thursday 31 May 2012

Insomniac Ramblings

(Current Song: Sleeping Beauty - Michael Giacchino (Alias OST)


Yawn. It's been a good month and a half since I last got a decent nights sleep. The routine is always similar - I'll either go to bed and spend hours trying to fall asleep, before finally falling into a fitfull, restless doze, or I'll fall asleep fairly quickly, and then wake constantly throughout the night.

It doesn't matter what I try - cutting out caffeine, all manner of herbal remedies, teas etc, a nightcap, anything, the process always ends up the same.

Frustrated with it, I finally visited the GP on Tuesday. I was pretty sure that this recent bout of Insomnia was down to the medication I've been taken, as it's listed as one of the side effects. It's had a big improvement on my mood, but I've had to weigh that up against barely sleeping. Eventually sleep won out - but at the same time, I was adamant I didn't want to take sleeping pills.

(Current Song: Mean Low Water - 65DaysofStatic)

The GP pretty much agreed, and stopped me taking the meds on the spot - apparently the one I'm on has more of a stimulating effect than most others, hence the Insomnia. I now need to wait for them to get out of my system for a week before moving onto the next alternative. This will be my second day without the meds, and I haven't noticed an improvement yet. I can only hope with a 4 day weekend coming up that the improvement comes soon, because I desperately need a good night's kip.

(Current Song: The Lair Part 2 - Danny Elfman (Batman Returns OST))


My mood has definitely been on the up - I've taken more enjoyment in doing things, I've been enjoying my interests (including Gaming, I finally cracked Ocarina of Time, and after completing Metal Gear Solid 2 I've finally started Metal Gear Solid 4) a lot more recently, but I've had practically no energy to do anything - going out, seeing people, anything like that.

So I have to apologise to my friends (especially Joe, who's been pretty resilient in asking me frequently to meet up, and been turned down at every attempt). I've wanted to get out and see you, I've wanted to visit the Moonlet gigs, I've wanted to be sociable. I just don't have the energy at the moment - I'm pretty much using all of it to get through the day (to the point where I've frequently fallen asleep when I've gotten home for an hour). I'll make it up to you all. Promise. I just need a few good lie ins first.

(Current Song: Carol of the Bells - August Turns Red)

I didn't want this post to turn into a diatribe against my lack of sleep. but it seems to have taken that turn. For those who've stuck with the self indulgent tripe, I talked a while ago about a driverless car being tested in America. Well, Volvo, not to be outdone, have been testing their own - in this case a self drive convoy (made up of 3 cars and a lorry),  completing a 125 Mile journey through Spain.

The cars are wirelessly linked to a lead vehicle, driven by a professional driver. They then effectively mimic that lead vehicle, driving at around 52mph with about 6m separating each vehicle.

It's interesting (and exciting) stuff, and definitely could herald the possibility of driverless cars in the future. I can't wait.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18248841

I'll leave it there for now. Take care all.



No comments:

Post a Comment