Tuesday 14 February 2012

Improvements

Man, I've been really up and down the last few weeks. Everytime I seem to improve mood wise, something else hits me and I'm right back down again. I'm fighting it, but damn is it hard.

Hopefully I'm back on an upward swing now though. Often when I'm struggling like this I tend to close myself off, and I keep forgetting those around me can really help out. So thanks to all who've helped with the recent funk, especially Elle. I really appreciate it.

(Current song: Zombies Ate My Neighbours (Panic of the Undead) - NoppZ, OCRemix)


So, where to start with this update? I guess with work so far. Today seems to have been mostly about Malware, and related. A colleague brought in their work laptop (which was infected). Once the infection was cleared up, the BSOD's starting kicking in - looks like the hard drive might be shot. It's a shame, but not a game breaker, everything was backed up, and the laptop IS around 5 years old, so a good age. We'll see if I can fix it, otherwise it's a transplant or replacement time.

(Current Song: Memoria - Nobuo Uematsu (FF9 Soundtrack)

Turns out the malware infection came about last night, when she visited a local charity's website. Low and behold, said website is infected with something nasty themselves. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon (they're in the process of sorting it with the webhost, and I've offered help if they need it) but until then, access to said site's probably not a good idea. Cue the all staff e-mail!

(Current Song: Dog Days Are Over - Florence and the Machine)


Let's see, what else? Oh! Elle finished her essay over the weekend (an epic writing several weekends in the process), so this weekend'll be the first one we've had together properly for a while. Looking forward to it, especially with a week off next week too. Some much needed unwinding and relaxation time, bring it on!

I finally conquered one of my gaming achievements over the weekend as well. I said a little while ago I had a few game related things I wanted to get done in 2012, and while I haven't gotten to many of them, I can cross off the Treasure Trove achievement of Lost Odyssey, which means I've finally finished the game proper. T'is a good feeling.

(Current Song: Martha's Quest (Murray Gold, Doctor Who Series 3 OST)

On a slightly downer note, I'll be keeping a close eye on the results of the inspections of Apple's (and it's supplier, Foxconn) factories in China. For those who don't know anything about it, take a look http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17015824. Apple aren't the only company to be dealing with Foxconn and the other suppliers named in the report, but they are the one most frequently named (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are among the others). It's only recently this has been coming to light, and unfortunately it's taken several suicides to get the issue raised. It's pretty shocking.

And RIP Whitney Houston. I remember her voice being a regular thing in our house when I was younger (Dad is a massive Soul and Motown fan), and I'm aware she was due for a comeback soon. It's sad to see that she's passed so far before her time, fallen once again down the route of drug addiction.

(Current Song: Kara Remembers - Bear McCreary, Battlestar Galactica OST 4)


I think I'll leave it there for now. I want to post more, but as always, duty calls. Best wishes ladies and gentlemen!

No comments:

Post a Comment